In the old days, the Tamsui River was navigable all the way inland to Daxi . The dock was where the old Heping Road runs today, and from Qing Dynasty times this has been the town's business area. In addition to the traditional wooden furniture shops, on the Old Street today you can still see the old businesses the making of Daxi's famous dried bean curd, iron mongering, and stone working. The street was formed during the period of Japanese occupation (1895-1945) and the shops have Japanese baroque-style washed stone façades that are beautifully decorated with intricate carvings of birds, animals, flowers, and plants. The name of the establishment is written.
In 1891, the Qing court’s Celestial Master predicted that a big disaster would occur and, at the suggestion of local gentry, chose Chenghuang Temple at Hsinchu as the site of the disaster elimination ceremony; so the temple was designated a provincial- level Chanchiang temple, the only one in Taiwan at the time.The wood carvings in the temple were done by master Wang Yi-shun and are well worth a look.